Maybe you were too busy hunting down celebrities on the new video chat service, Airtime. Better yet, maybe you were using it to land a job. For whatever reason, you missed out on some of Mashable‘s features coverage this week, and that simply won’t do.
Thankfully, we’ve rounded up the top resources in social media, business and tech to catch you back up to speed. We’ve continued our series of beginners’ guides with cheat sheets on Twitter and Reddit. And in a week of password-hacking mania, we’ve got tips for ensuring that your LinkedIn and eHarmony profiles stay safe and secure.
Be sure to check out our Google search tips and keyboard shortcuts, the latest episodes of our web series Behind the Launch, and why our readers are saying nay to an under-13 category on Facebook. Bon appetit!
- Reddit: A Beginner’s Guide
Spend some quality time with Reddit — you’ll find it an essential resource, a self-correcting marketplace of ideas. Get started with our guide.
- Not Just Chatroulette: Hands-On With Airtime [REVIEW]
Airtime is the best frictionless video platform for launching instant video conversations with random people who happen to have some shared interests. Here, we break down the reasons why.
- 10 Facebook Marketing Mistakes to Avoid
We talked to the pros about some oft-committed Facebook faux pas.
- 5 Things to Consider Before Self-Publishing Your Book
If you want to self-publish your book, you’ll have to pull a lot of the weight yourself. Consider these tips before you begin.
- Mobile Site or Mobile App: Which Should You Build First? [INFOGRAPHIC]
Is it better to invest in creating a good mobile website, or building a standalone mobile app? This infographic breaks it down.
- 20 Search Tips for Google Masters
Smart Googling requires finesse, a keen eye, some Boolean tricks, and a bit of ‘je ne sais quoi‘ we like to call ‘Google-Fu.’
- 11 Tumblr Tips for Power Users
Once you’ve mastered the basics of Tumblr, consider learning a few more tricks to make the blogging experience even easier.
- How Social Media Is Changing the Sports Ticketing Market [INFOGRAPHIC]
Social media has changed the way myriad industries do business — even the sports ticketing market. This infographic shows how.
- 20 TV Shows With the Most Social Media Buzz This Week
Which TV shows generate the most buzz on social networks this week? Find out from our weekly social TV chart.
- The Beginner’s Guide to Twitter
Got a friend who’s ready to take the Twitter plunge? Try this handy beginner’s guide to the real-time social network.
- 7 Things You Didn’t Know About David Copperfield, Courtesy of Reddit
American illusionist David Copperfield recently did a Reddit QA. Here are 7 things we learned.
- 5 Cinemagram Artists You Should Follow
These photographers use Cinemagram, a popular GIF iPhone app, to create stunning works of art.
- How to Change Your LinkedIn Password
Following LinkedIn’s security breach, it’s time to change your password. It’s not as easy as you’d think.
- Hit Tumblr Mocks Wikipedia’s Most Ridiculous ClaimsTumblr “Citation Needed” sets out to discover the craziest claims within Wikipedia’s more than 22 million articles.
- How to Check If Your LinkedIn Password Was Stolen
Worried that your LinkedIn password may be a part of the nearly 6.5 million compromised? Find out now.
- What I Learned on Airtime With Sean Parker
We Airtime with Sean Parker and talk about how the service helps protect its users safety and privacy.
- Mashable Poll: Majority Says No to Under-13 Facebook Users
Mashable readers respond to Facebook’s proposed under-13 policy.
- 7 Alternatives to Airtime Video Chat
If you’ve checked out Airtime and it’s not for you, try one of these seven video chat services as an alternative.
- 17 Homegrown Photos Plucked From Your Backyards
We asked our readers to send us photos of something “homegrown.” Here are some of our favorites.
- Behind the Launch: The Power of Networking
The Vungle guys call on their trademark “hustle” to chat up some big names in the industry at a mobile gaming conference.
- 4 Startups Revolutionizing Social Commerce
Here are 4 startups that are making e-commerce social in revolutionary ways.
- 10 Ways to Boost Sales on Your Ecommerce Website
Looking to increase your bottom line? We asked the experts.
- How Change.org Is Revolutionizing Internet Activism
It’s been a big year for Change.org, and the startup is proving that protests can be strengthened by the power of the Internet.
- Why the Freemium Model Doesn’t Work
There are many shiny examples of successful freemium companies, but they are an exception and set a bad example. Here’s why.
- 4 Ways to Manage Online Reviews
Business owners can’t afford to ignore online reviews. Here are four key ways to manage customer feedback online.
- Mobile Advertising: The Ins and Outs of Striking a Deal
Vungle — the startup we’re following in Behind the Launch — discusses mobile advertising.
- Developers: Learn Who’s Playing Your Games, Increase Retention
Game publishers tap into psychological principals to develop games that people can’t stop playing.
- 4 Reasons Your Small Business Should Be on Etsy
As a small business owner, consider expanding your existing business onto Etsy. Here’s how an Etsy storefront can support and grow your brand.
- Behind the Launch: Putting It All on the Line
On this week’s episode, Vungle co-founders Zain and Jack propose a radical idea to their team.
- How a Tech Hurdle Completely Changed Jawbone’s Mission
Jawbone didn’t initially set out to create a consumer electronics company — they wanted to build something like Siri. Here’s how they pivoted.
- Roommate Wanted: Apartable Helps You Find Compatible Roommates
One third of the world are renters, says Apartable COO and co-founder Matthew “Mati” Bortnick.
- Trade Valuable Goods for Unique Travel Experiences
Planning to travel the world? Deliver much-needed goods in exchange for unique experiences with mmMule.
- Smartphone and Tablet Users: The New Shopaholics?
Mobile commerce sales have quadrupled over the past two years. Here’s how people are spending.
- Demo Day Could Make or Break These Startups
The entire TechStars program leads up to this moment: a 5-minute pitch in front of an auditorium full of investors and journalists. Who will flourish, and who will flop?
- 3 Easy Ways to Grow Earned Media
You can’t buy or create earned media. Your brand’s Facebook page will have to organically develop it via likes and shares. Here’s how.
- Need Original Music for Your Video? Try scoreAscore
You don’t hear about a lot of jobs for composers these days, but Jordan Passman, founder of scoreAscore is slowly changing that.
- Lady Gaga’s Social Media Strategist on How She Helped Build an Empire
Jaunique Sealey reveals how she developed and launched the social media campaign that led to Lady Gaga’s breakout success.
- 55+ Events in Business, Tech and Social Media
Our Events Board helps event organizers and the Mashable community convene at events in social media, tech, marketing and other fields.
- 10 Keyboard Shortcuts for Gmail Power Users
Email is a necessary evil, but Gmail offers a series of keyboard shortcuts to help tame the beast.
- Flipboard: Behind Mobile’s Most Beautiful Newsreading Magazine
The Flipboard for tablet and mobile has proven to be a beautiful and efficient app. See how its form enhanced its function.
- 5 Kickstarter Campaigns for Zombies
Five campaigns call on the Kickstarter community to crowdsource the undead.
- Demo Day: The First Day of the Rest of Your Startup
The TechStars teams have been preparing for Demo Day for three months, but they only have one shot to impress. Find out if they’ll succeed or flop on the latest episode of TechStars.
- Spam Is Still a Big Problem, and Here’s Why
Five million computers around the world were infected with malware in the first quarter of 2012, and it’s up to you to stop the invasion.
- Slay ‘Vampire Power’ With These Eco-Friendly Chargers
Bracketron has come up with an eco-friendly line of mobile chargers that reduce vampire power consumption and help you have a greener home.
- How to Find Anything in Your Gmail
Check out these 10 tips for advanced Gmail search functions that’ll make hounding old emails a breeze.
- Portable Light Project Brings Cheap Energy to Developing World
The Portable Light Project team has developed an inexpensive solar textile kit to provide renewable power that can be adapted to meet the needs of people around the world.
- 10 Eco-Friendly Gadgets Made From Bamboo
All of these gadgets are made of sustainable bamboo and give you equal, if not better, quality than their more toxic counterparts.
- 6 Questions to Ask When Doing International UX Research
As international markets rapidly expand, it’s important to know where your company fits in and how to meet those customers’ needs.
- Why IPv6 Is a Win for Digital Advertising
The Internet’s shift from IPv4 to IPv6 addresses will have many side benefits, including making life easier for digital advertisers.
- 9 Excellent Tools for Design Mockups
Make sure your website shines with these tools for mockups.
- 6 Link Building Tools to Boost Your Traffic
We looked at six of the most popular link-building tools to figure out the pros and cons of each. Here’s what you need to know.
- How to Check If Your eHarmony Password Was Compromised
Password management firm LastPass has rolled out a quick and easy way to see if you’re a victim of eHarmony’s security breach.
- 14 USB Hubs to Liven Up Your Desk [PICS]
Your office tech can be functional and stylish. We found 14 quirky USB hubs that showcase your true inner-geek.
- Why You Should Consider an Electric Vehicle
Interested in an electric vehicle? CleanTechnica brings you the latest in sustainable transportation news and developments.
- Travelers Are Fed Up With High Roaming Charges [INFOGRAPHIC]
Connected travelers are facing roaming charges and data fees that seem higher than ever. Here’s how they’re dealing.