It’s the end of the week, a beginning of a new month, nearly the end of the year and maybe even the end of the world, if you believe some interpretations of the Mayan calendar.
Rather than worrying about an apocalyptic future, however, why not embrace the technological future that is unfolding before our eyes?
It has been another busy week for us at Mashable, covering the latest contraptions and advancements in the digital world. In case you’ve been preoccupied, we took the liberty of rounding up all the posts you don’t want to miss.
As always, our weekly features roundup will get you up to speed on social media, tech, business and lifestyles. With the holidays fast approaching, we’ve also featured several selections from our “Gift of the Day” series.
For all the ways technology and the Internet can enrich your life, read on.
- How to Buy a Tablet
Getting ready to buy a new tablet this holiday season? Read this guide first.
- Living With Lumia: The Final Verdict on Windows Phone 8
Can an iPhone-loving Apple fangirl survive using Windows Phone 8 for ten days? The answer is a resounding yes.
- How to Stop the Next Viral Facebook Post Outbreak
If you’re not involved, if you sit back and let scams spread from timeline to timeline, you’re part of the problem.
- How to Master Instagram Tilt-Shift
Don’t let bad shift happen to you. Heed these tips for better “depth of field” Instagram shots.
- Top 25 Tech of 2012
In an exhilarating year punctuated by groundbreaking gadgetry, future-forward and world-changing tech, here’s the top 25 tech of 2012.
Gift of the Day
- Your Wee Pilot Will Love This Augmented Reality Airplane
AppGear Foam Fighters is the perfect gift for somebody who loves flight simulators and wants an innovative augmented-reality mobile video game.
- Gadget-Charging Backpack Is a Clever Gift for Globetrotters
The Powerbag is the perfect holiday gift for gadget-loving commuters and travelers.
- Give the WowWee Light Strike to Your Favorite Laser Tag Opponent
The Assault Striker is a laser tag array of toy rifles that is perfect for the kids this holiday season.
- This Li’l Robot Dances Circles Around Other Holiday Gifts
Control this one-of-a-kind dancing and music-playing robot with either an Android or iOS smartphone.
- Little Race Car Drivers Will Love AppMATes for iPad
Disney’s AppMATes lets you turn the screen of your iPad into a Cars 2-themed environment.
- A Washable Keyboard Is the Perfect Gift for Messy Co-Workers
The Logitech Washable Keyboard K310 is the perfect keyboard for clumsy users who sometimes spill their coffee while working.
For more tech gift suggestions, visit Mashable’s Gift of the Day topic page.
- Don’t Fall For Fake Facebook Privacy Notice
A fake “privacy notice” has been virally spreading on Facebook, supposedly protecting one’s personal details and data from unauthorized copying.
- Now You Can Send iTunes Credit as a Facebook Gift
If you’ve ever wanted to give someone an iTunes song or movie on Facebook, now you can do it with Facebook Gifts.
- Firefox Facebook Integration Lets You Chat With Friends From Your Browser
Now you can chat with your Facebook friends from directly within Firefox.
- Sing Along With These 12 Holiday Songs on YouTube
It just isn’t the holidays without a little singing. Check out our list of the best Christmas tunes to jam to on YouTube this season.
- 5 Fascinating Facts We Learned From Reddit This Week
Strange historical coincidences and creepy Icelandic folklore await you in this week’s edition of Reddit Facts.
- Vimeo Launches Faster, More Social Video App for iPhone
Video-sharing platform Vimeo launched a new iPhone app with the ability to upload recorded videos faster and share them to social media sites.
- 10 Free Facebook Cover Photos Full of Holiday Cheer
We have found 10 excellent Facebook cover photos perfect for the holiday season.
- 10 Family Christmas Cards on YouTube
The holidays are all about traditions. Decorating the tree. Untangling endless light cords. Embarrassing yourself on the Internet.
- How to Avoid Your Own Email Replyallpocalypse
There are worse things than hitting “reply all” when you didn’t mean to. But we can’t remember what those things are right now.
- This Facebook App Gives Annoying Friends a ‘Time Out’
Defriendtion is a free Facebook app that posts a detention note-style warning to any given friend’s Timeline.
- How to Monetize Without Hurting Your Community
Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian discussed putting community first in the quest for monetization at the Mashable Media Summit.
- The Furby is a Holiday Hit
The Furby appears to be the hot toy of the holiday season.
- 7 Products Customers Clamored for on Cyber Monday
Did you virtually shop ’til you dropped on Cyber Monday?
- You Can Now Pre-Order Books in Google Play Store
Google has enhanced its Google Play Store with the ability to pre-order upcoming books.
- Let’s Face it: Most Social Media Marketing Is a Waste of Time
A lot of the buzzword-laden blather around social media marketing the past few years was itself a form of marketing for self-conferred experts looking to make a buck off scared blue-chip companies.
- Munchery Offers Same-Day Deliveries of Fresh Meals From Local Chefs
Munchery offers fresh meals prepared daily by local, professional chefs that you can order and have delivered the same day for dinner.
- Want Tumblr Analytics? It Will Cost You
For the first time, brands and marketers have access to an analytics dashboard for Tumblr — but it will cost them at least $500 per month.
- Name Your Price for Gadgets on New ‘Priceline for Tech’ Site
Want to buy a specific camera for someone for the holidays, but can’t find it in your budget range? Now you can haggle with the price on this new site.
- Unison Takes the Pain Out of Conference Calls
Unison lets employees communicate through virtual rooms organized around specific projects to help boost collaboration and productivity.
- 5 Ways to Make a Seasonal Job Permanent
The holidays are not only a fantastic opportunity to earn money at a seasonal job, but also a chance to get a foot in the door with companies.
- 26 Things You Didn’t Know About Tech
When was the GIF first created, and why do we type on QWERTY keyboards? Find out these answers, plus many more.
- 10 Amazing Robots We Met in 2012
In your last moments of freedom before the coming robot revolution, check out the top robots from 2012.
- Razer Gaming Keyboards are Full-Featured for Serious Play [REVIEW]
Razer gaming keyboards, the BlackWidow and DeathStalker Ultimate, are full-featured and well-suited for gamers — but they’re not cheap.
- Nook for Android and iOS Gets Updated, Comes to the UK
Barnes Noble has updated its Android and iOS Nook app and made it available for download in the UK, the company has announced.
- How to Save Your Phone When It Falls in the Toilet
It’s not often that a one-minute video can save you hundreds of dollars, but if you ever drop your phone in the toilet, this clip might bail you out.
- Polar App is the Ultimate Tool for Indecisive People
Polar lets users quickly set up polls to get feedback on timely issues ranging from purchasing decisions to pressing personal debates.
- iPhone Case Transforms Touchscreen into Keypad [VIDEO]
If you’re feeling nostalgic for tactile keys, a conceptual iPhone case transforms your touchscreen into an old-school keypad.
- The Top 5 Gadget Innovations of 2012
Learn more about the five nominations in the Gadgets category of Innovation Index 2012.
- 10 Mobile Apps to Control Your TV
Here’s a roundup of 10 apps that tap you right into your TV — all from your phone or tablet.
- Samsung Galaxy Camera Is a Game Changer [REVIEW]
Samsung’s daring attempt to combine Android with a serious compact camera has created what could be the gadget of the year.
- Qloo Finds New Things For You To Watch, Read, Listen, Eat and Wear
New discovery engine Qloo offers recommendations — based on things you already enjoy — for music, film, TV, dining, nightlife, fashion, books and travel.
- Hands-On With the World-Changing $40 Tablet
The Aakash2, the second generation of the monumental tablet from Indian-maker Datawind, arrived in the U.S. Wednesday, with a welcome at the U.N. Headquarters in New York.
- popSLATE Case Gives iPhone 5 a Second E-Ink Screen
The PopSLATE case gives your iPhone 5 another 4-inch display on the back. Its always-on E-Ink screen displays images and data while using minimal power.
- iTunes 11 Finally Available for Download
Apple has finally released iTunes 11 to the public.
- IEEE’s Robot iPad App is Robot Heaven
IEEE’s Robots iPad app is well done and good fun. A must for every robot enthusiast.
- 10 Sleek Cases for Your Nokia Lumia 920
You might be interested in a classy case to protect and personalize your new phone. We found 10 great options that could fit the bill.
- Fuze Is the First Native Video Conferencing App for Mac
Fuze for Mac is the world’s first native video conferencing app for OS X.
- ‘Fantastical’ Mac Calendar App Makes its Way to iPhone
Popular OS X calendar app Fantastical has made its way to iOS.
- This Keychain Lightning Connector Is Perfect for Emergency Charges
This portable Nomad Lightning Connector is available on Kickstarter.
- How to Get Your Adobe Flash Fix on the iPhone
Adobe Flash: Can’t live with it, can’t live without it, at least for iOS users. But iPhone lovers now have a Flash alternative.
- Chameleon Clock App Blends Your iPad in With its Surroundings
Chameleon Clock uses the rear-facing camera on your device to blend in to its surrounding.
- Bravo’s ‘Play Live’ Lets Viewers Interact With Favorite Shows and Ads
Bravo is launching Play Live, a social TV experience that allows people to express their opinions through onscreen polls and see via real-time results at the bottom of their televisions how their answers compare with other viewers.
- 10 Motivational Apps for Runners
With accurate tracking and real-time statistics, you’ll be able to get through today’s run with ease. Try these apps, for starters.
- High-Tech ‘Granny Pods’ Provide Alternative Housing to Nursing Homes [VIDEO]
Informally known as “granny pods,” the MEDCottage is a home that is temporarily placed on a caregiver’s property to provide care for seniors in need.
- Get a 3D Model of Your Unborn Child
A clinic in Japan is offering models of the fetus, using 3D-printing technology.
- Gadget Connects to Lights to Help Hearing Impaired
The Spark Socket can do for the lights in your home what apps have done for smartphones, says Spark Socket founder Zach Supalla in a video on Kickstarter.
- Smart Sock Alerts Parents if Baby Stops Breathing
A team of students at Brigham Young University created a baby monitor that, when strapped around the baby’s foot and worn like a sock, monitors the heart rate and blood-oxygen levels.
- Retina Implant Instantly Turns Text Into Braille
Researchers have developed a way to allow traditional text to be viewed instead as Braille letters with an implant.
- Your Holiday Cards, Sent in Bulk via Facebook [EXCLUSIVE]
Touchnote’s new interface, available on iOS, Android and the web, lets you pick any holiday card image, add an Instagram-like filter, type in a message and select a Facebook friend.
- 5 Apps to Cure Your Black Friday Hangover
Cure your Black Friday hangover with these 5 smartphone apps.
- From Condoms to Beef: 5 Goody Boxes to Send Your Dude
Company Manpacks asserts that most men hate to shop, but whether you love it or hate it, finding time to buy all the little things you need in life can be difficult.
- Equinox President Shares Top 5 Health and Fitness Innovations
Sarah Robb O’Hagan describes her picks for Mashable’s Innovation Index.
- 10 Ambitious iPhone Apps, Accessories for Your Workout
Whether to get a head start on New Year’s resolutions or prevent holiday weight, the tech-savvy individual can access the latest iOS apps and companions.
- 10 Pro Camera Accessories for the iPhone 5
If you want to shoot profesional photos with your iPhone 5, you’ll need the right case and all the proper lenses.
- Apps That Keep You From Getting Lost in Translation
There are plenty of translation apps for smartphones, but sometimes they speak better than they listen.
- The 7 Best Tablets for Kids
If you’ve been spending way too little time with your tablet because it’s usually in the hands of your kids, it may be time to think about getting them one of their own.
- Are We Living Better With the Jawbone “Up” Electronic Bracelet?
The Jawbone Up is a bracelet designed to help you learn to live a healthier lifestyle.
Image courtesy of Flickr, telwink