It was a little more complicated than I originally envisaged but, after exporting the old database, changing the IP address in the DNS section of the cPanel, editing the config file to reflect the new database information and then a bit of tweaking from the lovely techies at Catn, Jo Shaer: Social Media Solutions is back up and running.
I should probably point out at this juncture, for the benefit of the wag who mentioned it, that the site is not called Jo’s S&M Solutions
So, what did I learn from this exercise?
Well, for a start, that I have picked up more technobabble than I realised over the last few months. Whilst my original idea that I could just change the nameservers to the new host and everything would be hunkydory was somewhat wide of the mark, once I knew what I had to do, it was relatively easy to accomplish.
However, as with all things computer-based, there were a few variables which could not have been foreseen and required the assistance of those who are more in tune with the vagaries of databases. Fortunately, these were sorted out relatively speedily so the site was not down for too long.
It does make me remember the wise advice of Jo Dodds who suggested that I might want to get UK hosting sorted before I started doing any work on the site…
The thing about Catn is that it is a cluster site which means you have a little more protection in terms of ‘down time’ if the servers go awry. However, I still have a site with the nice people at EUK Host so I shall be comparing the performance of both companies over the next few weeks.
Both these UK-based companies offer cPanel hosting with FTP access and it is easy to install WordPress so there really isn’t too much to choose between them.